Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Starbucks Logo













My friend Bram
http://www.aboutbram.com asked me my thoughts on the new Starbucks logo...
I am glad they are still incorporating their main colours by changing the 'siren' to green and white rather than keeping her in black and white. However, I think that keeping some black within the image would do a better job of signifying the Starbucks brand. The circle is a huge Starbucks signifier so it was an excellent choice to keep that. I think they have made a good transition, the logo is still recognizable, however, visiually I do not particularily like the siren image. It is quite a busy design for a logo and to be honest, a little creepy.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.starbucks.com/preview

    some interesting thoughts from the starbucks creative team on the new logo.

    i agree that she needed a little redesign, and the subtle clean-up looks great. but i WILL miss the current logo, i like the black and the type.

    however, overall, i think the link between the siren and starbucks' brand identity is very weak. especially after reading these short articles -- i dont think the designers even really understand the connection. if they do, they certainly dont express it very well :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that Mo, I agree, the link seems kind of lost..."there was a lot of poring over old marine books going on. Suddenly, there she was: a 16th century Norse woodcut of a twin-tailed mermaid, or Siren"... she just kind of showed up? Sadly, I didn't even notice the Siren until a couple months ago, to me Starbucks has always been the big green circle around the little black circle

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews