Friday, December 10, 2010

Hip Consumerism







Here is a packa
ge that contains all the "necessities" for hanging a picture. It is appealing to women, by using a picture of a beautiful, yet, confused woman on the front of the package. The consumer relates to this woman, thinking "hey, I'm just like her, I don't know how to hang pictures properly either". However, the most interesting is how it appeals to a younger audience by using the tag-line "The Right Tools To Hang Stuff". By dumbing down the language the product is viewed as hip, and humorous. This branding is a terrific example of hip consumerism. The product is self-deprecating, it is disinterested, it says "I guess this is what you should by if you want to hang stuff", it's not jumping out at you saying "buy me, buy me" and that is exactly why it makes it into your cart.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I disagree. I think the picture is actually pretty condescending and I wouldn't buy the product because of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely see where you're coming from, but I personally am confused about hanging frames on my own, so I don't mind that the woman in the picture looks confused. I also thing the tag-line is what pulled me in the first place so I didn't pay much attention to the picture on the front.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews