Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Writing too much in an Ad

There's too much writing in this ad, so much so that I still haven't read the whole paragraph. I flipped through the magazine, landed on this page, looked at it for two seconds and flipped on to the next. This really shows the importance of good copy. Advertisements must cater to the people of today, the impatient. If the advertisement has just said "sure, preservatives were an option, but that's not who we are", they would have gotten their point across. Save the big paragraphs for your about page on your website.

2 comments:

  1. I'll disagree on this one. That is not a lot of copy. And the length of copy is not really an issue in advertising anyway. It's what you say.I f your copy is compelling and important people will read it with no problem. Some of the most successful ads of all time had 1,500 words. No joke. Just a huge page of copy and a couple of photos. Traditional sales letters are written this way and it works very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a point, advertorials are definitely effective and they have tons of copy. I think my statement may have been too broad by saying that ads shouldn't have a lot of copy. That being said, I don't think this ad speaks to the younger generation and maybe it wasn't supposed to. Being part of Generation Y I know that many of us want the point to come across as fast as possible so we can get onto the next piece of information...technology has made us very impatient.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews